British Institute of Verbatim Reporters.
The professional body for verbatim reporting
BIVR AWARENESS WEEKEND 28 – 31 JULY 2017
LONDON EXPOSITION MONDAY 31 JULY 2017
The Law Society, 113 Chancery Lane, London, WC2A 1PL
Will you be there?
The 2017 BIVR AWARENESS WEEKEND PROGRAMME IS AVAILABLE TO DOWNLOAD:
A few places remaining. Email now to secure your Exhibition place,
or your ad in our 2017 BAW brochure – see programme above
Stairway to BIVR BAW 2017
Who will join us on the red carpet up to BIVR BAW 2017?
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org to book your stand
(or page in our brochure)
What is BIVR?
The British Institute of Verbatim Reporters is the leading organisation for verbatim reporters in the UK. We promote training and professional skills and have a Code of Ethics. BIVR members work in many spheres of the law such as the High Court, Crown Courts, tribunals and inquiries. They write machine shorthand using Stenograph, a variety of Palantype system machines, or Pitman handwritten shorthand.
BIVR members work with deaf and deafened people as Speech-to-Text communication supporters. BIVR encourages real-time skills which are used extensively in complex cases. Television subtitling is also carried out by some of our members. BIVR has a long and rich history. It is the successor organisation to the Institute of Shorthand Writers, incorporated as long ago as 1887 as a glance at our History page will show you.
What we do
- Maintain a national register of BIVR qualified reporters working within differing spheres of practice
- Improve the qualifications and status of all our members
- Encourage student membership
- Encourage continuous professional development through formal and informal training opportunities
- Maintain access to training and examinations
- Provide a members’ Facebook page
- Debate court reporting topics and technical developments
Our aims, set out in our Memorandum and Articles of Association under the Companies Act, are as follows:
- To promote the more efficient practice of the art of machine and pen shorthand in connection with legal and other proceedings
- To raise the qualifications and status of our members
- To encourage the maintenance of adequate training and examination facilities